Friday, February 21, 2014

Irresponsible...

My name is Tamra and I am raising one of the most irresponsible kids on this planet.  Don't get me wrong…he is a good kid.  One of the best actually.  However, he is so irresponsible and that has been driving me crazy.

The other day I stopped in Barnes and Noble because I had a gift card to use and there were several books I wanted (yes, I still like good ol books you can pick up and hold).  I found one of the books and it was on parenting.  I would like to claim that I was reading it to give tips to someone else, but honestly it was for one of my bio kids and one of my bonus kids.  However, what I didn't expect to find was something on raising responsible kids.  What I read jumped out and grabbed me.  I realized Trey is simply a product of my doings.  He never leaves the house without being reminded to grab his backpack and coat, I remind him to "potty" before bed or long car trips, I dictate when he showers, etc. He isn't irresponsible simply because he can't do it, he is irresponsible simply because he has never had to do it.

That made me think…how often do I rely on someone else to do what I am unwilling to do or want to do?  How often do I sit back and think, "oh, if that is really important so and so will take care of it, or they will remind me again and then I might do it."  I mentioned in the last post I was feeling ragged because of my lack of saying no.  That's not what I am meaning here at all.  I am not talking about volunteering at school parties or being the mom who is everything to everyone, I am talking about rolling up your sleeves and stepping out in faith for something.  Maybe it's a cause you have been sitting on, or an opportunity with someone at work that you have ignored, but whatever it is, it's time to stop being irresponsible with our callings and do it.

I hear from so many people all the time that say what we are doing is great and that I am a wonderful person.  While that gesture is nice, it makes me feel so uncomfortable.  For one thing, I am not doing anything that is outside of each and every one of our callings.  No, it might not look the same as our family and it might not mean ever taking in a single foster child.  But that doesn't mean we aren't all called to support them.  You may not ever be called to do anything more than pray for families that do and that's a huge thing.

I wonder so many times what our kids will take away from this when they are adults.  Will they be foster parents?  Will they start some mission oversees or local that I can't even fathom?  I have no idea the impact this will have on them, but I do know this…..Trey may forget his coat and need reminded to go use the bathroom and yes, that may drive me crazy…..BUT….it's far more important to me that I raise a child who sees the bigger picture and the real reason we are all here.  I don't want to set an example of an irresponsible, lazy adult who creates and irresponsible, lazy child.  

No comments:

Post a Comment