Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Feeling left out....

Once again, it's been a bit, but for what it's worth I thought about blogging several times and to me, that counts.

This past weekend was a first for us in a long time.  It was just the 4 of us.  B was with his family and 'Anna' didn't stay with us because we drove up for the football game Saturday.  We had planned to spend the night in Fayetteville Saturday night, but the game was ugly and we just kinda wanted to get home to our bed and have the day Sunday with the kids.

I learned something else this weekend.  Before we started fostering I always assumed my kids would feel left out and we would need to make some special time just the 4 of us.  While of course I agree that it's important that we spend time with them, I realized they in no way feel "shorted" because we have had other kids around.  In fact, all day Sunday they kept asking about B and when we would get Anna again.  I realized that what kid doesn't love extra kids running (or laying) around their house?

There were so many small worries we had before fostering that now seem so trivial.  Our kids are in no way slighted because we can't always jump in the car last minute and go see a movie, and eating out is just not worth it.  However, they are getting such a glimpse of what it's all about.  I mean, my kids are 4 and 7 and they understand that there are kids out there without a family.  They understand that sometimes choices that these parents make, mean they are not able to be with their kids anymore.  Because of this, their friends are also learning a ton as well.  They care for these kids like they are their own brother or sister, but they have an understanding that I think we lack:  Things don't always turn out the way we think they should.

One day, Trey asked me why B couldn't be with his mom and I was explaining it in terms he could understand and he got quiet.  A few minutes later he told me he knew why he was going with the family member and I asked why.  He said, it's because B has been in church and we've been praying for him, so now he has to go tell his mom about Jesus so she can make better choices one day too.

Trey, at 7, realized something that I had not even been able to consider because of my own selfish desires.  Hopefully one day, we will see this very thing come true.

1 comment:

  1. I am too!! They see things with such wisdom sometimes!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete