Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I can't make this stuff up.....

First of all this is posted from my phone so I'm not sure what it will look like or how many mistakes it will have but oh well.  The way things are going around my house I can't be sure when I will have my computer back.  So, you guys might remember the leak we had in our house that messed up our front office. Or, you actually may not since it has been so long ago. Basically, the whole room had to be gutted and we were told it wouldn't take too much time to fix. Well, as of today I have walls that are built again but no paint, trim, or molding.  That's not the major issue though...the major deal is the floors.  They had to put new hardwoods down and they were going to have to stain them. For those of you who have been in my house you know that my floors are different colors. We have one floor in the living room and the rest of our downstairs wood is another color. I thought since we were staining our office floors already it would be a perfect time to do the whole house.  Boy was I wrong.

We packed up and moved out last Thursday because once they start staining you can't walk on the floors. We were promised we could return Sunday. Looking back now that was always unrealistic because of drying time but we didn't know better.  Then everytime we checked on them Friday and Saturday not much progress was happening. We still believed their lies that they were about to get started because they always had believable excuses. Then on Sunday, my dad and I came by and no one was working and the two rooms they had stained looked awful!! I mean even I could see it.  We called our subcontractor and he acted surprised and assured us he would go by. Then he agreed it looked bad and told us he was bringing a new crew in on Monday and things would go much smoother. We gave him the benefit of the doubt and Monday a new crew did show up that seemed to know a lot more of what they were talking about.  They promised us they would not leave Monday until the stain was applied and perfect. So....imagine my surprise when I opened the door Tuesday and once again only one room was complete. This time, I didn't care about any excuses and we kindly (or not) told the subcontractor to pack up and leave.  We also found out the reason the first guy was fired was because he hung out at our house all night drinking. Awesome. I'm sure the neighbors are having a neighborhood meeting about us as I write this.

Needless to say we hired a very highly recommended stainer to come in this morning and already the professionalism is amazingly different. He gave us a realistic timeline (next Tuesday!!!) to be back home and has been on time so far today. Two major pluses.

Unfortunately we still have to deal with these contractors (not the floor guys!) to have our room finished because its already paid through insurance but other than that they will never step foot in our house again (its still up for debate whether or not I will).  I will put some pics on Facebook of the dust mess they have left us to deal with. They didn't cover ANYTHING before they sanded so my refrigerator, cabinets, furniture, lights, appliances everything has about 3 inches of dust on them. The new guy walked in today and said, well I can assure you we won't make a mess anything worse than this one.

So there you have it....pity party.....maybe. The truth....unfortunately. We have named this little project the flush heard round the world after the little girl and the flush that started it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment