Saturday, July 20, 2013

Just the Truth....

First of all 2 blog posts in 2 days...someone write it down because it won't happen again....I also hope this post isn't offensive.  It's just something I feel strongly about.

I feel like a lot of times my posts can be all about the challenges associated with fostering.  I would never want to sugar coat what it's all about but I would also never want to discourage someone from fostering or getting involved in respite care because I make it sound so hard.

The reality is that anything worth doing is going to be challenging.  We are so focused on what's quick and easy that we sometimes forget that.  Take for instance something small like learning to ride a bike with no training wheels.  This did not come easy for Trey.  He was blessed with his mothers athletic ability so he was not one that simply hopped on a bike and took off.  It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears.  And I do mean a lot of blood and tears.  However, the other night we were riding bikes and he said he loves the way the wind hits him and he can just go so fast and ride anywhere.  He would be lying if he told you he got it the first try and it wasn't challenging.  Same with parenting.  Good grief it's hard.  There are days when Addison is throwing her 30th temper tantrum (yes she's 4) and I just want to run away.  Or days when Trey is being such a smart mouth 7 year old that I want to ship him to boarding school.  But I don't.  I think any parent would say that parenting is one of the most challenging, yet rewarding things out there.

Fostering is a challenge for sure.  But I face lots of challenges every day....like not eating a whole batch of cookies when they are sitting out.  See my point?  The reward however is far greater.  Hearing Addison explain to people why we have B or hearing Trey tell people "yeah, he's my brother for a little while" let's me know they get it.  Today we were given permission to pick up the little girl we kept for a few nights last week and take her to church every Sunday morning.  To me that makes last week worth every sleepless minute.  Now, most Sunday mornings, she will be loved on by some of the greatest people I know. 

If nothing in your life is hard then you may be doing a whole lot of nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment