Thursday, October 16, 2008

Potty Training......

Okay, so we are in the process of potty training and it is definitely hard work!! If people wouldn't look at me (and him) so funny I would not be opposed to ignoring this altogether. Of course, J.O. is all about it because it saves us $10 a week. However, he isn't the one going in every random public bathroom with the boy. Here are a few of my tips that I have picked up:

1) If you can stay home all day on the first day, put them in real underwear. The inventor of the pull up was a genius because he took a regular diaper and marketed it different. Seriously, they will not know the difference and the underwear will let them see what it feels like. However, be prepared for a messy day.
2.) Go crazy the first time they pee in the potty. Seriously, run through the house dancing and call everyone you know. They will get so excited. But be prepared to dance through the house everytime because they will expect it after that.
3.) Buy small pieces of candy to reward them with. I got caught with only Hershey Kisses the first day and I think he had a whole bag that day. M&Ms or Skittles would have been a much better option. Now he will pee on command for a Hershey Kiss though.
4.) Be prepared to take them every 20 or 30 minutes the first day. It's like feeding a newborn all over again. You get one cycle down just to start over.
5.) Take Clorox wipes with you into public bathrooms. There is nothing nastier than putting your cute little boy's booty on a big ole nasty seat.

I was going to post a picture of him in his big boy underwear, but decided my next picture should be of him fully clothed. I will make that my goal this weekend to get a picture up of him wearing normal boy clothes....

No comments:

Post a Comment